a plethora of creativity including planning, crafting, DIYing, food and more....a journey of the fab 4....

11.13.2012

A Few Good Reads

I am a book nerd.  That is probably a mild description, to be honest.  I love to read!  Especially books that capture your attention from the first line.  You know the ones I am talking about, don't you!  I also have a really weird obsession with the smell of books... (picture the SNL Skit with Molly Shannon  where she smells her hands after putting in her armpits.  That's me, but I smell books instead. I told you it was a really weird obsession, so don't judge me.)  :)  

I owe my love of books to my grandmother, or as I called her, Nannie Boo.  She actually turned me on to my love of a good mystery book by giving me the Mary Higgins Clark thriller, A Stranger is Watching, when I was in high school.  I have expanded my love of books to other topics, but I do LOVE a good mystery.  I have been reading books lately that are what I deem period pieces.  They are set during a specific time that is important in history and also usually revolves around a serious social issue like war, slavery, the Great Depression, etc...

Recently I finished a book that I could not put down once I began to read it.  It moved me, stirred things in me, pushed the boundaries of what was considered right, acceptable, expected, and done to humans regarding slave selling/buying/trading.  WAIT!  Before you quit reading this post because you do not think this may be a topic you are interested in reading, think again.  This is not your typical book about slavery.  This book follows the intricate weaving of several families on a plantation.  It is written from the perspective of two girls...One who is of Irish descent and was purchased by a "master" and taken to his plantation to work as part of the help.  The other, a girl, was also made to work as help even though her roots could have allowed other conveniences...Curious?  Well, I did not leak all the twist and turns, and believe me, there are many but check out this book and then come back and leave a comment on what you thought.  I'd love to hear if you were engulfed by the same desire to see what happened next...Oh, right, you need the title!  Here it is...The Kitchen House

Later this week I will be posting some great gift ideas for everyone on your shopping list this season!  Make sure you check back to see if anything strikes your fancy or gives you an idea for someone on your list!  

No comments: